Australian Office

Visas and migration

The Visa and Citizenship Office of the Australian Consulate-General in Hong Kong is responsible for Australian visa and citizenship matters for applicants in Taiwan.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection is pleased to announce the opening of an Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) in Hong Kong from 13 October 2014. The introduction of an AVAC is part of a number of service delivery improvements.

For more information, please see and


Working Holiday Maker Program

If you are interested in Australia’s Working Holiday Maker visa program, a factsheet is available here.

You can apply for the program directly here.

Additional information for working holiday makers to assist you with your preparations is available in English here and in Chinese here

The aim of the Working Holiday Maker program is to allow you an extended opportunity to holiday in Australia. You may also study short courses of up to four months’ duration, and you may take on paid work to help cover your travel expenses.

You can do any kind of lawful work on your working holiday visa including full-time, part-time, casual, shift and voluntary work, subject to the conditions of your visa (for example, you may only work for one employer for a total of six months). Some useful job-search engines are available here. Working holiday makers are entitled to the same work rights and conditions as all Australians under the Commonwealth Fair Work Act. The Fair Work Ombudsman website provides several web-based tools that can help you in understanding your pay, entitlements and conditions at work.


Travel insurance is STRONGLY recommended for working holiday makers in Australia.  Medical costs in Australia can be extremely high compared to Taiwan.  A comprehensive policy covering you for theft, loss, accidents and medical treatment for the duration of your time in Australia is essential. If you plan on doing adventure activities such as scuba diving, bushwalking or travelling in remote areas, you should make sure your policy covers you for these activities.

How to Make Enquiries

Australian Border Force (ABF)

Australian Visa Application Centre


+852 2185 6326
Monday to Friday 08:00-17:00